International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index
International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages


Post new topic  Reply to topic
 The Rural Revolution! March 10, 2005 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Author Message
Maurice
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: The Rural Revolution! March 10, 2005 Reply with quote

Site Admin

Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 185

The Rural Revolution!



By Maurice Ali, Journalist




Well that sign says it all!

One of the problems of being a part-time journalist is that you can't be there at major events when it happens, like full-time journalists and the like. So it was quarter after four when I found myself driving downtown toward the end of a large farmers protest: "The Rural Revolution!"

I had some luck here as the convoy was passing me as I drove south and was able to get some photos by sticking my camera out the window (kids: Don't do this at home!) and firing away at the action:



See - I take chances getting that photo!


More of the convoy going back home up the Don Valley Parkway!


Nest stop was the Provincial Legislature grounds where the protest had taken place. There was no more of the protestors there when I arrived but there was much to be seen. A man (later confirmed not to be connected with the protest and events) put on a show for the media by driving to the protest in a rental truck and setting himself on fire! The whole area was cordoned off, but I got some pictures as I stood beside a CITY TV cameraman setting up for the 6:00PM news; I also had to stand on a garbage bin to get some of the action - dedication!


The view of the incident from behind "yellow" tape.


A closeup of the van; showing very little fire damage!

Carrying on - I drove over to the Exhibition Fair Grounds where some of the protestors had gathered to protest at a Liberal dinner being catered there that night:



A good shot of the numerous farm vehicles that arrived at this location.

This site gave me hands on access to what the protest was about; the actual vehicles and signs and an interview with some of those farmers:


Some of the signs adorning farm equipment.


A closer shot of the various messages.


Now that is impressive!

I came upon a group of famers who discussed the issues and asked if any wanted to have a recorded interview for the news agency (That being our organization - of course.....):


Some of the farmers that arrived at the Exhibition grounds.


The main interview was with Frank, a tobacco farmer who just wanted farmers to be subsidized like all foreign farmers are; this would even the playing field and make family farms viable again - he said.



Frank: A Tobacco Farmer


After I interviewed Frank; I took many pictures of that convoy at the fair grounds and left, my hands were just stinging from the cold we had that sunny day. The drive home was quick as most avoided the freeways.....a strange experience. So, sometimes you can be a amateur journalist and still get the story just like the "big" guys; I proved it today!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


DAJ Glass (1.0.8) template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group