International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Disabled and Covid 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAIJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Disabled and Covid 19 Reply with quote

Disabled and Covid 19

By Jessica King (Canada)

The Covid 19 pandemic has changed my life a lot. I normally go to food banks for my meals, but since Covid the food bank was shut down, the volunteers were told to stay home and it hasn’t opened up yet. Having to rely on outreach when I have a place makes me feel bad due to not being homeless anymore. Where I am the outreach is only for homeless and having to pretend that I am homeless doesn’t feel right to me. But I am disabled and have to do what I have to do to live. I get people have been laid off but being on disability and only getting 100 bucks extra to live off is so unfair. For those in Canada the CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit which pays 2,000 a month) helps those with jobs but why not those with disabilities. Although in retrospect I do stay home a lot even without Covid, the only thing that has changed is no food and my support does not take this issue into account. I am not alone so something should be done to help those like me.

Where I live (Niagara Falls in Ontario) nobody cares about Covid 19 in their daily life. No masks are being used here and social distancing is not followed primarily because we have only had one case. So I guess we are just doing something right or we have just been lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: