International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Observer Status At the United Nations - June 4, 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> Advocacy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Observer Status At the United Nations - June 4, 2004 Reply with quote

One project that I would like to start is the application for observer status at United Nations events. This is not as hard as you may think. Understand that we are not talking about observer status at the general assembly (such as Switzerland and The Vatican), but at the small "side events" that are of particular interest to us. I saw this status granted to an advocacy group I was loosely associated to when I was part of a political lobby. More news as it becomes available.

Maurice Ali wrote:
One project that I would like to start is the application for observer status at United Nations events. This is not as hard as you may think. Understand that we are not talking about observer status at the general assembly (such as Switzerland and The Vatican), but at the small "side events" that are of particular interest to us. I saw this status granted to an advocacy group I was loosely associated to when I was part of a political lobby. More news as it becomes available.

I have noticed one change nowdays..... When I mention stuff like in the quote above; people used to smile or laugh.....now they just "stare" at me.....so I guess the organization just move up another notch in the "food chain"..... Laughing

June 10, 2004

Still trying..... One thing I found out is that the organization has to have been in existence for at least two years to get NGO status at the United Nations. This may still be possible as our organization was developed while I was a civil rights lobby all the way back to 1994! It is only the incorporation as of last January that seems as if the organization was started just a few months ago. I actually have documents and such that can support this requirement but will have to see if it is validate under U.N. charters.

The best way to secure NGO status is by showing an interest in United Nations activities. One way is to get on their mailing list. Another is to get "observer status" at activities of interest to our organization. It is imperative that we get involved and network with the people and organizations that can make a difference in the ideals that we seek. We must do this in order to be well placed for the moment that will ultimately define why we started this venue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> Advocacy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: